09 February 2012

BB Cream! SKIN79 (Pink Label) Review

BB Cream

I’m very much into the Japanese Gyaru and Korean Ulzzang fashion- so cute! And for a good while now I’ve been hearing all this buzz about BB Creams in Gyaru and Ulzzang forums.  Being the curious person that I am, I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

What I learned was that BB Cream- or Blemish Balm (or Blemish Base/ Beblesh Balm), was originally formulated in Germany to be used on patients that recently underwent facial procedures, such as a laser surgery, chemical peel, etc.

Because skin is usually highly sensitive following these procedures, dermatologists would give patients BB Cream to soothe, protect, and cover up redness or discoloration / laser scars, while also healing and renewing the skin. 

The cream became a big hit in Korea, quickly becoming a huge hit all over Asia, and has now made its way world-wide.

Now big companies like Mac, Too Faced, and Smashbox have picked up on the trend, and have created their own versions.  However, from my research, the best BB Creams are the ones made by the Asian cosmetic companies.

Throughout the forums, I frequently learned some brand names; the most popular and highly recommended being Missha and Skin79.  So I decided to give one of them a try.


Want to read my review?  Read the full post for more info.



My review:

SKIN79 Super+ Beblesh Balm BB Cream Triple Function (Pink Label) SPF25 PA++ 40g

Most BB Creams come in one color, and really aren’t meant to substitute foundation, although many people feel that the coverage is just enough.  I still need a little bit more coverage, so I used this under my Sheer Cover mineral powder.

As I discussed in my last post I have very sensitive skin, so I was terrified that I’d break out.  Luckily that was not the case.

The color of the cream is a little gray, which may sound odd but blended with my skin color very well.

Different brands have different shades, and some may not work well with your skin tone.  So I recommend reading up on the cream before you make a purchase.


Seal of Authenticity

Pros:

  • After using the BB Cream for over a week now, I will say that I really like it.  The particular cream I purchased contains a whitener, so I have noticed my skin tone evening out and the redness from old acne scars (and new ones because I’m a compulsive picker!) are almost gone.
  • I usually have to mix colors to match my skin color, so I love that the color blends in and works well with my skin tone. 
  • My skin feels softer and I like the satin-y feel to my skin.

Cons:

  • I have to special order the product online from Asia because it is not sold in the states (beware of FAKES!)
  • I have combination skin which tends to become a little oily around my T-zone.  I found that my skin gets a little oilier than usual throughout the day. 

Rating: ♥♥♥♥
(4 out of 5)

You can purchase BB Cream from Pinky Paradise. Use code: styleandfacebystephie for a free mystery gift.

Note: This review was done independently to share the knowledge of BB Cream to all of my lovely readers.  The mentioned product was purchased with my own money, and not given to me as part of this review.  

If you have used BB Cream before, please let me know about your experience and what brand you used.  I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Maryam Maquillage said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Stephie, question: does the whitening in the cream bleach your entire face or does it just target the dark spots?? I'm curious about BB creams, but I'm concerned that I will look like white face on a tan body (plus my face is already paler than the rest of me, as it is)... keep me updated!!

also, thanks so much for your message. I'm up and running now, though I still have some technical kinks to sort out. My new site is www.MaryamMaquillage.com, but the old one should redirect :))

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Maryam,

I'm so elated that you weren't lost! I had a slight moment of panic. Don't ever do that again :P

Also, good question! What most skin whiteners do is even out the skin tone by lowering the melanin (black and brown pigment) concentration.

There are a lot of chemicals out there that whiten skin, and each has different ways they whiten. So it depends on the chemical.

This Skin79 BB Cream in particular has Arbutin; a natural ingredient extracted from the Bearberry that works by inhibiting Tyrosinase activity.

What is Tyrosinase? Glad you asked. Tyrosinase is what drives the production of melanin by oxidation. You know when you peel a potato or eat an apple, and the exposed part turns brown? That’s what happens when Tyrosinase oxidizes.

Since acne scars and beauty marks, have higher concentrations of melanin, this product will lighten those puppies more than the whole face.

I've been using this for about 2 weeks, and so far it has only really lightened my acne scars. I still use the same powder color and everything.

For people with dark skin, this product may have adverse effects. So I would recommend a BB Cream without the whitener.

If you want to try a couple out, they sell sample sizes for $4, or the little $16 sample set. Some without whiteners.

http://www.skin79northamerica.com/catalogue/browse/48-miniature-a-set?TreeId=9&sef=hc

Hope this helped!

PS- BB Cream rocks, and so do you!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I read and appreciate every single one

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...